6.26.2008

Time Well Spent

On Monday I had a brand new acquaintance unintentionally reveal something to me about myself that made me ashamed. I am coming to realize that the way I measure success at the end of my day is by how many tasks have been completed. Reese is fed, bathed, and dressed all by 10:30... check. Reese and I have had balanced meals so far today... check. Ran errands, this room got cleaned and this laundry was done, and dinner was ready to put in the oven before 3:00... check. Taught piano 'til 6:00 and kept Reese entertained and students un-distracted... check. Threw dinner in the oven at 5:30 during my last lesson and it was on the table by 6:15... check. And after 9 months of this, you can't imagine the emptiness you feel (well if you're a female at all I'm sure you can) like you're just alone in your daily world and what the heck did all that matter that I stressed myself to beat the clock over anyway?

So today, for the first time ever in nearly five years of living in Tennessee, I threw the list away and went with a dear friend whom I love and admire SO much, and did nothing but shoot the breeze, admire her sweet new baby, and drink hot chocolate at Starbucks. After that I spent the day with one of the sweetest teenage girls you'll ever know, getting a pedicure and just hanging out. (Thank God for spaghetti- I was able to throw dinner together in less than 30 minutes before heading back to VBS tonight.) No pictures were taken of VBS, no laundry got done, and my kitchen has been a mess for two days... I however felt the touch of relationship that totally will let me go to sleep tonight feeling like my life mattered for something today, if nothing more than letting someone else know they were loved and that they were TOTALLY worth my time.

3 comments:

Big Nanny said...

I love a good list, "the list" makes you feel like you have a plan and you can prevent any unneccesary mishaps. But yes, "the list" can also consume your life. No one ever puts "be a friend" on their list:) I threw out my list yesterday because it didn't say: Go to Atlanta.

Erin said...

Hi Heather,
I found your blog through BigNanny...love it! And I loved this post. Such a good reminder to spend time on the things that really matter. When we get to Heaven, God is not going to ask us if we followed our list, but about who we affected for Him.

Alicia (dna) said...

Great to see you blogging!

Lists are great...even God has them!...10 commandments...fruit of the Spirit...so and so begat so and so...

However, if a list stands in the way of our relationships with people, then I agree, throw it in the trash for the day!

Alicia